Best Buy makes CDP’s 2022 Climate A List for sixth year
Best Buy makes CDP’s 2022 Climate A List for sixth yearPublished 12/13/2022
ALE VALERIANO - STAFF WRITER
Best Buy is proud to be named to CDP’s prestigious Climate A List for the sixth consecutive year for our bold actions to take care of our communities and the planet.
We have been recognized as a leader by CDP as a result of our efforts in tackling climate change and accelerating our environmental goals. This year’s recognition is based on our actions to cut emissions, mitigate climate risks and drive a low-carbon economy.
“We are proud to be recognized as an environmental leader for our ongoing work to create a more sustainable future for our communities,” said Tim Dunn, Best Buy’s head of environmental sustainability. “As the effects of climate change continue to grow, I’m proud to see how our teams across the company are making decisions with the future in mind to take care of our planet for generations to come.”
In addition to this recognition, our efforts to address climate change impacts have landed us in Newsweek’s list of America’s Most Responsible Companies 2023 and ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for the ninth year in a row.
How we made the list
Sustainability is at the core of what we do at Best Buy and we are committed to doing more.
For this list, CDP assesses companies based on the comprehensiveness of disclosure, awareness and management of environmental risks and demonstration of best practices associated with environmental leadership, such as setting ambitious and meaningful targets. CDP’s annual environmental disclosure and scoring process is widely recognized as the gold standard of corporate environmental transparency.
This year, more than 15,000 companies were scored by CDP, but only 283 companies made the A List.
Here are a few examples of our environmental work:
- We set a science-based goal to reduce carbon emissions in our operations by 75% by 2030 (over a 2009 baseline). In 2022, we achieved reducing our emissions by 62%.
- We launched a home pick-up recycling service, making it easier than ever to get rid of old tech while protecting the environment.
- We became a founding member of the Breakthroughs 2030: Retail campaign, a Race to Zero initiative that aims to accelerate climate action within the retail industry.
- We’ve set a goal to achieve 85% waste diversion across our US operations by 2025. Since then, we have brought our waste diversion to 73 percent, getting one step closer to our goal.
- We signed onto The Climate Pledge and joined other leading companies committed to being carbon neutral by 2040, a decade faster than our previous goal of 2050.
For the full article, please access the Best Buy Corporate site.